I've taken the following details from various articles written by Miss Buser, Zehra Khan & Julie Sadler. Their articles appeared in the School Magazine,"The Pimpernel" in 1966 and 1977: -
In 1871 - Miss Rosa Bassett was born (Aug. 9). During her life she was to study at St. Catherine's Training College and later go on to read a B. A. Degree at London University.
In 1905 Miss Bassett M.B.E., B.A. (Lond.) was appointed Senior Mistress of Kingsland Secondary School.
1906-1977 IN BRIEF:
In 1906 (as a result of her impressive and exceptional ability as a teacher) she was made the first Head Mistress of STOCKWELL COUNTY SECONDARY SCHOOL when it was transformed from a teacher's training college in Stockwell into one of the new secondary fee paying schools established by the L.C.C. (London County Council). In effect she (a genuine pioneer) 'made' the school with her extraordinary dynamism and integrity.
Originally the motto was - Steady, Straight, Sincere (S.S.S.). It was however, while the school was at Stockwell that the new motto 'Honesta Obtinete' (Hold Fast to that which is good) was adopted.
In 1913 - that school moved to its new countrified site near Tooting becoming "COUNTY SECONDARY SCHOOL STREATHAM" (SW17). Every pupil & staff member wore a red carnation and so, since that time, it has been customary to wear red carnations for special events & anniversaries.
During the first World War, the girls took an active part in the life of the community, knitting garments for the troops, and helping with the distribution of ration books. After the war, an annual garden party was held to raise funds for the South London Women's Hospital in Clapham.
In 1920 - (inspired by the Dalton Plan introduced by Miss Helen Parkhurst at the Children's University School in New York) Miss Bassett decided to adopt the system at Streatham.
The Dalton Plan is a method of education by which pupils work at their own pace, receiving individual help from the teacher, when necessary, instead of their whole timetable being filled by formal tuition.
The Plan worked well and soon the educational world got wind of it and visitors came from far and wide in increasing numbers.
In 1921 - Miss Bassett delivered lectures in New York and the fees were donated to the Dalton Association so that other teachers could visit America.
The Plan aroused so much interest, that the school was opened to visitors for three days in 1921. Over two thousand headmasters, mistresses, inspectors and administrators visited the subject rooms, questioning girls and staff about the detail of the System. Thus, when the board of Education gave official approval of the Plan, the school had helped to pioneer the project.
In 1923 - There were a series of "Open Days" held during which more than a 1,000 people descended upon the school to see the Plan in action.
In 1925 - Miss Bassett died December 19 (after a fall)
In 1926 - Her successor, Miss Davies, continued with the Plan, though modifying it somewhat. She had been so impressed by the character of Miss Bassett that she then suggested that the name of the school should be changed to Rosa Bassett. [This did not happen, however, at that time].
Among Miss Davies' many gifts she had an expert knowledge of drama and dramatic production and for several years produced and directed the annual School Play.
In 1939 - with World War 2, the school had to move out of London and in September was evacuated to Chichester. It shared facilities with Chichester High School and remained there until 1943.READ MORE ABOUT THIS.
In 1943 - the school returned to Streatham and found the buildings damaged.
In 1944 - With renewed bombing the building had to be abandoned for a time. When peace came however, normal activities were resumed.
In 1947 - Miss Davies (Head Mistress) retired.
In 1950 - First school trip (2 weeks) to "Sayer's Croft" camp in Ewhurst, Surrey, England.
In 1951 - the idea was revived, to rename the School ROSA BASSETT and was accepted.
In 1963 - Miss Laura C. Jewill Hill (Head Mistress) retired. Miss Kathleen S. Dougill then became Headmistress.
In 1966 - there was the celebration of the Diamond Jubilee, commemorating 60 years since the foundation of the school. Money was raised through various activities and was donated to 'War on Want'. An annual Garden Party raised over £1,000 which was presented to "The South London Hospital for Women" (in which Miss Bassett was extremely interested).
In 1968/1969 - a massive campaign was launched "Sixfo '69", when the school raised over £1,000. The money raised was put towards the building of a SIXTH-FORM common room (fondly called the 'clubroom').
In 1977 - (Autumn) the Commemorative Issue of 'The Pimpernel' magazine was produced. In the Autumn Rosa Bassett Grammar School amalgamated with Battersea Boys Grammar School becoming the new "FURZEDOWN SECONDARY SCHOOL".
In 1986 - after also amalgamating with Ensham School, Furzedown Secondary School became established as "GRAVENEY SCHOOL" (Welham Road, SW17); shown >: